Eskom Holdings SOC Limited was established in South Africa in 1923 as the Electricity Supply Commission. In July 2002, it was converted into a public, limited liability company, wholly-owned by government. Eskom is one of the top 20 utilities in the world by generation capacity (net maximumself-generated capacity: 42 000 MW). Eskom generates approximately 95 percent of the electricity used in South Africa and approximately 45 percent of the electricity used in Africa. Eskom directly provides electricity to about 45 percent of all end-users in South Africa. The other 55 percent is resold by redistributors (including municipalities).
Eskom generates, transmits and distributes electricity to customers in the industrial, mining, commercial, agricultural and residential sectors, and to redistributors. Eskom sells electricity directly to about 3 000 industrial customers, 1 000 mining customers, 49 000 commercial customers, 84 000 agricultural customers and more than four million residential customers (of whom the majority are pre-paid customers). Most of the sales are in South Africa, with other southern African countries accounting for a small percentage.